Re: How to reduce pdf file size with open source software?

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:37:10PM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am currently using Etch and I'm loving it!
>
> Today I had to scan several documents from a Windows machine (not a good experience). The output files were of png format. I then transferred these files into Debian and used ImageMagick's "convert" utility to convert the png images into pdf. However, the pdf file sizes were around 1.6MB each. At this point, I I couldn't figure out how to reduce the file size. I searched the aptitude repositories and google but I couldn't find a proper solution.
>
> In the end, I had to transfer the files to Mac OS X and use "Preview" to reduce the image size.
>
> How is this done in debian? I am sure there are utilities out there but I just couldn't find them.
>
> Thank you!

After having read most of the current thread, you did this:
windows program: a document->scanner->png
linux program: png->pdf

what types of documents are you scanning?

are they 'art pictures' or 'drawings' or are they 'written text'?

Have you tried to get the scanner working in Gnu/Linux?

If you are trying to create a math paper that needs 'complex math
symbols', they you should consider (latex,tetex,texlive). You can also
use tex to produce pdf files and include graphics files in those.

-Kev
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|