Re: How to reduce pdf file size with open source software?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

> After having read most of the current thread, you did this:
> windows program: a document->scanner->png
> linux program: png->pdf

Yes that is correct

> what types of documents are you scanning?
> are they 'art pictures' or 'drawings' or are they 'written text'?

They are written text but composed of mostly math equations and quick, drawn out graphs.

> Have you tried to get the scanner working in Gnu/Linux?

No option here, I use the scanner located in the computer lab on campus.

> If you are trying to create a math paper that needs 'complex math
> symbols', they you should consider (latex,tetex,texlive). You can also
> use tex to produce pdf files and include graphics files in those.

Yes, I use latex quite often but I did not want to spend a lot of time typing up all those equations and plots. I just worked them out on paper and sent them of the professor.

--
Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu>