Re: How to reduce pdf file size with open source software?

Wei Wang wrote:
> What kind of pictures do you have? Are they complex scene like pictures
> or simple pattern based chart? You could try to convert them to JPG by
> using low compression ratio and decrease resolution if possible. In
> addition, it would be better you import those pictures into OOo Writer
> and then export as PDFs. In the options of exporting PDF popup window,
> there is an option of adjusting quality and DPI of target PDF files.
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 02:40 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/2007 12:37 AM, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>>> [...] However, the pdf file
>>> sizes were around 1.6MB each. At this point, I I couldn't figure out
>>> how to reduce the file size. I searched the aptitude repositories and
>>> google but I couldn't find a proper solution.

Try Scribus (or scribus-ng). You can compose the whole document using
the png images and then create one pdf (or per page pdf too?). There is
also an option of the type of compression to use for images while making
the pdf. But the first thing you need to make sure is that the images
itself are of optimal resolution for your task at hand.

HTH,
/KS