Re: Tool for document management

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:46:59 -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said:

>> At first glance I am leaning for throwing Subversion on my main box
>> so I can sync the other two machines off of it.  Not sure if there is
>> something better suited to the task or that svn would be particularly
>> ill suited.

> How big (in bytes) is this writing project?

> Unless it's got lots of images, it shouldn't be that big.
> (Uncompressed, the text of the KJV Bible is only (decimal) 4.4MB, and
> compressed it's (decimal) 1.3MB.)

> So why couldn't you tar up your directory into proj_<timestamp>.tar
> and rcp it to a couple of other computers?  (Since you use odt, no
> need to compress the tarball.)

        Err. This would be suboptimal for a coding project, and perhaps
 also for a writing project.  Diffs between versions,  keeping track of
 change history, keeping different ending/plots variations going would
 also make use of branches.  Tagging a particular milestone, etc, all
 fit better with what Steve suggested than just throwing tar/zip files
 around.

        Now, I do not have concrete suggestions beyond subversion, since
 one of the requirements was windows support, and I have no idea which
 source code management systems works well with windows.

        manoj
--
All husbands are alike, but they have different faces so you can tell
them apart.