Re: ls sort order: new, bad, behaviour

Eric d'Alibut <eric.halibut@gmail.com>:
>  Last night I installed, and then removed, the ftpd and proftpd debs,

Glad I don't use 'em.

>  in that order. Now I cannot by hook or crook get 'ls' to behave as it
>  did before those ftp experiments. 'ls' now sorts strictly by filename
>  -- including directories -- so that the latter are "mixed in" with
>  regular files in the output of 'ls'.

I always preferred that to the alternatives.

>  The last time I ran into this putting 'export LC_COLLATE=C' in .bashrc
>  remedied the unwanted behaviour. No such luck this time.

I was about to recommend that.  That's what I use here:

     (0) heretic /home/keeling_ echo $LC_COLLATE

(0) heretic /home/keeling_ ls -AlF
.Xauthority    .fontconfig/  .lesshst        .serverauth.3496    .xinitrc*
.Xclients*     .forward      .linuxcounter/  .serverauth.3517    .xscreensaver
.Xmodmap       .funcs        .list_signature .serverauth.3632    .xsession-errors
.Xresources    .gaim/        .macromedia/    .serverauth.3680    Mail/
.alias         .gamix/       .mozilla/       .serverauth.4496    News/
.aptitude/     .gconf/       .mplayer/       .signature          Xprintjobs/
.bash_history  .gconfd/      .muttrc@        .slrn-tmpfile.asc   bak/

>  I notice in proftpd's postinst script a 'ListOption' configuration
>  variable was set. Did this somehow get lodged somewhere in a system
>  file such that even with the purge of proftpd it is still active?

Could it have done something in the environment.  Anything odd in a
"set" listing?