ls sort order: new, bad, behaviour

Last night I installed, and then removed, the ftpd and proftpd debs,
in that order. Now I cannot by hook or crook get 'ls' to behave as it
did before those ftp experiments. 'ls' now sorts strictly by filename
-- including directories -- so that the latter are "mixed in" with
regular files in the output of 'ls'.

The last time I ran into this putting 'export LC_COLLATE=C' in .bashrc
remedied the unwanted behaviour. No such luck this time.

I notice in proftpd's postinst script a 'ListOption' configuration
variable was set. Did this somehow get lodged somewhere in a system
file such that even with the purge of proftpd it is still active?

Best regards,

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely