Re: Up-to-date Gnome versions?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 13:35:00 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
>El jue, 20-09-2007 a las 08:56 -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum escribió:
>> I see that Gnome 2.20 was just released. Im running Debian Etch,
>> which still seems to be stuck on Gnome 2.14, even though 2.16 was
>> released about a year ago and 2.18 since then.
>>
>> What are the plans for integrating more up-to-date versions of Gnome
>> into Etch, or into later versions of Debian? I dont have any special
>> needs but would rather up as up to date as possible with apps and
>> setup and bug fixes.
>
>Since Etch is now the stable distribution, it is frozen, which means
>that no newer apps will enter it (except for security fixes).  If you
>want more up-to-date apps you'd rather use Lenny, which is the actual
>testing distribution. It has the advantage of being up-to-date while
>keeping a good level of stability. It's meant for final users (unlike
>stable, which is meant for servers)
>
>If you want to have the last version of every program then you should
>use Sid, which is always the unstable distribution... but, as you might
>have guessed from the name, it's not very stable.

I'd just like to point out that "testing" and "unstable" mean different
things when used in a Debian context than in the context of many other
distributions and operating systems.  IMHO Debian's unstable is far more
stable than a stable release of Windows.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus