Re: choice

Joerg Schilling wrote:
dvd+rw-tools: .....allways success. just curious after all the things schily writes on his website about wodim ao. am a kind of practical. found out that schily's latest beta of cdrecord on my machine gives unsurmountable problems: destroyed without a warning two brandnew cdroms. the last point is the immediate reason for asking.

Free software authors like me unfortunately need to live with useless claims like this one :-(

The fact that the person did not give _any_ hint on what happened makes his claim extremely unreliable/unbelievable.

Just compare

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrtools/

with

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrkit

to understand realiability of cdrtools and cdrkit.

I am of course _always_ open to real bug reports.....
This can be verified that Ubuntu currently has not a single bug against
cdrecord. Bug # 13729  is a Linux kernel bug and all other bugs listed
for cdrtools are going to be closed in a week as they are related to
bugs that have been fixed within the last year but not been verified again
on Ubuntu.

You gave the answer yourself. I don't know about cdrecord vs wodim etc., but what Schily writes about debian is plainly not true. He changed the license to be incompatible with DFSG, so debian didn't have another choice but to fork.

This is another lie that is often spread....

The CDDL is a free software license that gives more freedom than the GPL does and it is definitely accepted even by Debian.

Jörg

hi jörg,

you pop up like a 'deus ex machina'

i did and do not doubt your words on your website without exclusive proof that they are wrong. yet you must understand this 'medal has two sides' (dutch proverb)

do not make me out for a liar without any proof from your side. in intended to send you a bugreport after conclusive trials: i still do *when i have time*: i am a working man with a rather large family.

my sympathy for you: for all the woek you have done in the past is not diminished. but please do not pursue on this needlessly agressive line. i admit it would have been more elegant to inform you first of the two flipped cdrom's.

regards,

steef