Re: etch installation fails on two machines

hi,

thank you both for your answers. and yes, i actually did mean 96 m instad of
96 k ram. ;-)

well, i finally succeeded. but still this remains quite strange. (faulty cds /
dvd can be absolutely ruled out, i thrice-checked.)

- i installed some more rum (up to 128 m). installation went past installation
of base tools (core tools?) which were the problem. (in german the translated
word is very similar to kernel, which is why i thought of that.) ok, it went
further, but got stuck when extracting libslang or similar.
this in fact lets one (strongly) suspect it's the ram, but as the installer
does support a low memory install i ruled that out.
- as i used the same hard disk in both computers and had another one lying
nearby i grabbed that one and - the install succeeded. yay!
- as soon as i added that other hard disk as a slave into that machine and
tried a re-install onto the master ... it failed, this time when setting the
clock.

the hard disk in question has been checked for bad blocks several times, yet
it is quite old and there might be some other strange issues. windows did not
complain, though (i was forced to do it ... ;-)

question: is it still worth a bug report? i suspect it will not be possible to
being reproduced without that special hd.
but if you think so i will do my best to describe it for the team.

thanks for your time,

meik.