Re: network installation using local mirror for security updates

Malte Forkel wrote:
Bob schrieb:
8< snip etch installer slow as it grabs updates from nonlocal mirror

Just don't let it update at install time but wait until after first boot when you can hand tune /etc/apt/sources.list alternatively you could edit the hosts file of your firewall so it returns the IP address of your local mirror for security.debian.org remember to make sure your mirror pulls it's files down from a different source.

Does the installer actually ask me during installation whether to update? I admit, I don't remember. Or is this an option I can set somewhere before installation?

Don't know about the graphical installer, I always go "expert" as that's what I'm used to and it doesn't install updates. I like the idea of editing the hosts file, if you can't do it on your firewall you can use Ctrl + Alt + F4 (F something anyway) to get to a command prompt, then use nano to edit /ets/hosts and insert a line like

192.168.0.10 security.debian.org

I think changes in /etc/hosts take effect immediately but perhaps you could confirm this.

You could always at that point just edit the /etc/apt/sources.list but the limited shell you get with the installer doesn't have apt-get so you cant run update and I don't know how else to get it to register the changes.