Re: Best way to install second version of Debian?

Anthony Campbell wrote:
I want to install a second version of Debian on a spare partition of my
HDD (can't have too much of a good thing ...).

Currently I have /dev/sda1 as Sidux, /dev/sda3 as Ubuntu. I want to put
Debian on /dev/sda8. The step I'm worried about is the final one: i.e.
how to manage the boot subsequently without losing access to the
existing partitions.

Any pointers to documentation, or advice please?

You will be asked if you want to install a boot manager. Don't, then
at the end of the installation, boot into the 'master' OS, the one which
installed the current grub bootloader, then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to
add the new OS.

It should be reasonably obvious what is needed, but menu.lst will
contain the list of documentation, which may not be the same in all
installations. It is fairly well commented.

Generally use the same options as the existing OS entries, unless you
know otherwise, and avoid any section which is auto-generated.