Re: Gnome Update Manager's "Smart" Update

On 9/15/07, Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
>    The "Smart" update button in the update manager often comes back to me
> with a solution that involes removing software that I use every day, in fact
> software that I usually have open when the update manager is open (such as
> pidgin and anjuta).
>
>   Is that really such a smart idea? Why is the update manager suggesting
> that's a smart idea? It will cripple my ability to work! Is it really that
> smart of the update manager to suggest such a thing? Is it such a smart
> thing to call that button "smart"?

"smart" refers to resolving dependencies by installing additional
packages or removing software, as opposed to simply not installing
packages that would require such actions. If you are using unstable
(which, given the fact that you are using update-manager "often", it
would be logical to conclude you are), then you should wait a few days
for missing dependencies or updated packages to be uploaded to the
archive.

FWIW, I have pidgin installed and there are no problems I am aware of.
In fact 2.2.0 was recently uploaded to the archive.