Re: amd64 vs i386

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 04:27:10 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>On 09/15/07 03:57, pietia wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> Do you have any experiences in that competition: Debian amd64 vs Debian
>> i386 ?
>>
>> Is i386 still faster than amd64 ?
>
>Since when was i386 *ever* faster than AMD64?
>
>> And what with missing packages like flash plugin ?
>
>Certain closed-source apps & plugins are only built for i386.  There
>are work-arounds for AMD64 systems running in 64-bit mode.  Google to
>find many web pages that describe how.
>
>There are certain open-source apps that code certain critical functions
>in hand-tweaked 386 assembly if the build target is i386.  I don't have
>any specifics off the top of my head.  Google should help.

So far, the only thing that I'm missing from Debian Sid AMD64 is a Sun
Java browser plugin.  Apparently there's no 64-bit version of it,
despite the source now being available, and AFAIK there's no wrapper
package in the repos.

The non-free flashplugin has been sorted out with a wrapper for several
weeks (months?) now.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus