Re: amd64 vs i386

Hello,

2007/9/15, pietia <pietia.moo@gmail.com>:
> hi
>
> Do you have any experiences in that competition: Debian amd64 vs Debian
> i386 ?

yes :)

> Is i386 still faster than amd64 ?

the question isn't wether it's faster or not it's more like the need
of 64bit. You can easily go beyond 4GB of RAM (also possible with i386
but you need a kernel option for that which is afaik enabled anyway in
standard debian kernels)

> And what with missing packages like flash plugin ?

if you want a desktop PC stay with i386 since there isn't anything
available that makes flash work out of the box with amd64. It can
however be done (look at the various posts on this list which suggest
in essence a chroot and a full 32bit installation of
firefox/iceweasel)

Personally I don't care (for desktops) about 64 vs 32 bit. The reason
for that is that I disable flash anyway since it's useseless for me.
For servers I keep with 64bit if (and only if) I expect to need more
than 4GB of RAM (which is the usual use case). If I have to decide
actively wether I use 32 or 64 bit on a desktop with linux i choose
32bit because most of the software will "just work". On the other hand
of course if you don't mind some plumbing the "64 bit marketing lie"
(faster) won't be much of trouble for you.

Just my experience...