Re: websites incompatible with iceweasel

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> When I go to www.citicards.com using iceweasel 2.0.0.6 Debian Etch, I
> just get a blank page. I get the same result even with -safe-mode
> option. Is this a bug in iceweasel?
>
> I called the citicards customer service website 1-800-347-4934 to
> inform them about the problem. The response is that they do not
> support firefox. They only support Internet explorer, netscape
> navigator. I asked them why they do not support firefox? The answer
> is that "it is a business decision". Obviously the customer support
> person does not have a clue what it means to design a website which
> is not browser specific. This whole conversation begs for another
> question.
>
> Is there any financial institution who offer credit cards and also
> help free software? Even if they do not help free software, I would
> be happy if they have a website which is browser independent. It is
> probably better to take our business there than with citicards whose
> technology department is not capable enough to design a website which
> is standard compliant...
>
> Any ideas/suggestions/comments/thoughts?
>
> raju

For you too it should be a business decision. If they can't serve pages
in standards complaint format, you should just take your business
elsewhere. Take a look at MJ Ray's list of online banking services with
regards to compatibility with GNU/Linux, Firefox and other free browsers
at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/banking and choose from one of them.

And take a look at the linux fund credit card too. I don't know if they
have a web interface workable with Linux though.

HTH
/KS