Re: Surefire Xorg driver/config?

---------------^^^^
----------------------^^^^
>                    \_ xterm
>                        \_ bash
>
> Looks okay to me, but I don't know what to look for in an obscure case
> like this.

wow, I'm stumped. I've changed the subject line in hopes of catching
some other eyes.

First of all (see arrows above) you shouldn't startx as root. Its
should certainly still work (unless something has changed), and Iknow
its a lot easier in the midst of all this mucking around... just
pointing it out is all...

Ok, wow, so X is coming up (yay!!!!) and its clients are up and
running (yay!!!) but you can't see them (booooo!!!!). I assume you are
only seeing the usual grey screen, right? xsetroot is doing nothing as
well, right?  is there a mouse cursor?

Totally baffled. maybe try coming up with an xterm command line that
specifies the placement of the window someting like --geometry 300x400+100+100 so
that you are confident that the window would be intersecting the
screen and check the man page, cause I don't remember that sytnax
ATM.

are there any errors in ~/.xsession-errors? maybe there's a clue
there.

Also, is it possible somehow that you are getting more than one X
display running and the xterm is connecting to the wrong one? maybe
specify --display :0.0

try switching away and switching back (ctrl-alt-f1). Try alternate
VT's (c-a-f8, f9 etc). try some other client program besides
xterm. xcalc maybe. try going ahead and running a basic window manager
instead of xterm (fluxbox, or icewm or twm or anything, just to see...).

All this is shooting in the dark Gordon, I really hope someone else
can jump on this cause I'm out of ideas now.

good luck and keep posting up here.