Surefire Xorg driver/config?

I'm seeking alternative ways to get X up and running on this newly
installed lenny  box.

- Willing to go to stable for all pkgs.
- Willing to go to unstable for video (if it does not mean going
unstable for core non-X libraries).

Is there an xorg driver/configuration that works under almost all circumstances?

Hardware:
- Intel 82845G Brookdale rev3 chipset
- Hitachi 803 21in older CRT w/bandwidth in excess of 200MB.
H Freq.    V Freq.
31-115KHz  50-160Hz

current xorg packages (willing to switch):

xserver-xorg/testing uptodate 1:7.2-5
xserver-xorg-video-intel/testing uptodate 2:2.1.0-2
xserver-xorg-core/testing uptodate 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12

(It appears to me that the current lenny xorg video driver
(xserver-xorg-video-intel) for Intel 845G chipset is flawed.  See bugs
438650 and 424952.

I also had failure using the stable xorg and i810 driver.)

--
Gordon Pedersen         gordon@visi.com