Re: Accessing software programs from disk

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 23:14:03 +0100, Martin Waller
<martinej.waller@ntlworld.com> said:

> Two examples - update available packages using dselect front end to
> apt - new kernels automatically get installed! Never used to happen. I
> don't want that by default - never had issues with it in previous
> Debian versions.

        That is because you decided to install an "umbrella" package
 that pulls in the latest kernel packages. Don't, if you do not want
 to. I never do.  Your issue is that additional options were introduced
 to cater to people who had other modes of working.  You were never
 unsupported -- other people with different modes of working were.

        So install: linux-image-2.6.18-5-amd64
           and not: linux-image-2.6-amd64-generic
                or: linux-image-2.6-amd64

        dselect has not gone away either, though it does not correctly
 deal with package relationships.  I use aptitude; along with the
 associated ~/.aptitude/.config file to make it look kinda like dselect.

> 2nd eg - X - used to be a pain to set up, but you knew what the
> bejeezuz' was going on once it was set up.  Etch install - worked it
> out all automatically! Great - but I want (need?) to know wtf is going
> on behind the scenes so I can tweak stuff the way _I_ want. I'd rather
> it was hard to configure for _every_ aspect but have control than easy
> to configure in some aspects and hard in others.  With that I lose two
> ways - I lose control in some aspects and the other aspects they keep
> f***ing changing every upgrade.  Smells like s**t to me - eat windoze!

        Huh? /etc/X11/xorg.conf is still there, and can still be
 edited.  If you knew where to go set up X before, you can still go to
 the same durned files and see what has been done -- and change it, if
 you wish.

> Expect flames - talk to the hand.

        Typical.

> Once a debian advocate, now an ubuntu-maybe (hurts).  I gotta deal
> with 'Redhat Enterprise 64 bit' (F**k!) for my new job, so perhaps I
> shouldn't complain but, well, it's the thought that counts.

> I just get the feel something's changed for the less-good with
> Debian. Maybe thats just the way Linux is evolving.

        Rubbish.  Debian is still the same -- it just has added
 facilities for the novices. It is not a geek club -- but the control is
 still there for old timers who are set in our ways.  It does not look
 to me that control is what you are looking for, or the old way to do
 things -- which still exist in Debian.  You just want the sackcloth and
 ashes, and the hair shirt.

        manoj
--
You can't fall off the floor.