Re: Accessing software programs from disk

violet penny wrote:

If the "... apt-get blah, blah ..." command line thingmee is the only way to do this, then I'll just have to forget it: even if I didn't have M.E. (a fatigue disorder), my middle-aged brain simply isn't capable of dealing with SO much new and totally unfamiliar data at once. It's just too much.

I used to like Debian because it was free of such stuff - once learnt, you could always use it. Even if at first it was a paradigm shift. Yeah, there's that apt-get shite, but once you got it it was constant.

But now, well, I sympathise with you - there seems to be too much pressure to conform with people's 'windoze' expectations of things being 'automagically' updated, things getting updated 'for you', 'for your own good'. Too many changes to too many key aspects of the system to be able to keep up with unless your some college student with no real-life mundanities (is that a real word? wotevah...) to sort out every day.

Complexity was never an issue for me, just change for the sake of change, and I can't help Debian has somehow lost it's way. Just my upgrade from sarge to etch seems to have brought so many changes into my system without me being able to control them. I want to be in control - that's what I hate about windoze (lack of control or choice).

Two examples - update available packages using dselect front end to apt - new kernels automatically get installed! Never used to happen. I don't want that by default - never had issues with it in previous Debian versions.

2nd eg - X - used to be a pain to set up, but you knew what the 'bejeezuz' was going on once it was set up. Etch install - worked it out all automatically! Great - but I want (need?) to know wtf is going on behind the scenes so I can tweak stuff the way _I_ want. I'd rather it was hard to configure for _every_ aspect but have control than easy to configure in some aspects and hard in others. With that I lose two ways - I lose control in some aspects and the other aspects they keep f***ing changing every upgrade. Smells like s**t to me - eat windoze!

Expect flames - talk to the hand.

Once a debian advocate, now an ubuntu-maybe (hurts). I gotta deal with 'Redhat Enterprise 64 bit' (F**k!) for my new job, so perhaps I shouldn't complain but, well, it's the thought that counts.

I just get the feel something's changed for the less-good with Debian. Maybe thats just the way Linux is evolving.