Re: debian oriented laptot suggestions

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:50:15 +0000 (GMT)
Donald Davis <donald_g_davis@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> My first question would be:
> Have you looked at any of the suppliers who sell with Debian preinstalled?
>
> I would definitely get a laptop/ notebook with an Nvidia graphics card.  Nvidia support is excellent.  ATI support (even with proprietary drivers) is not so great.

I believe that Intel graphics are also well supported (my laptop has a
945GM; it works fine, but I haven't tried to do anything particularly
challenging with it).

> Look at the internal wireless card.  It's possible to get a broadcom card working but they don't work well.  I've seen

My Acer Aspire's (3690-2672) Broadcom 4318 does, indeed, not work with
the native bcm43xx (I haven't yet tried the next generation b43 code
yet) as well as I would like [0], but it works flawlessly under
ndiswrapper.  Note that in the thread referenced above, there's a
discussion about an Acer screen flicker problem that can crop up in
various contexts

> laptops with builtin Atheros chipset cards.  Atheros, Orinoco, and Prism cards are great.  However, I personally prefer wireless pcmcia cards with external antenna connectors su as Ubiquity.

Atheros is certainly great (I haven't used the other two), although
you'll have to accept the non-free HAL.

BTW, you might consider posting questions like this on debian-laptop.

[0]
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2007-September/005769.html

Celejar