Re: how to get rid of spams hitting debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org

On 9/10/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> I"m baffled as I've got SA running and its definitely picking up a LOT
> of stuff, but as I've said previously, the stuff that's getting
> through my SA to my local mailboxes is the same stuff that's hitting

Back months ago when I was still using my tsoft DSL +SA and email on my own
box, SA would trap quite a bit of spam - hundreds, usually, gotten through the
course of an average week, would be trapped by the SA filters I was using. But
much of that spam was attacks on my old address dfox@tsoft.com, which
no longer exists, and
was little, if ever, used. Still, I would get a large amount of spam
simply because I maintained the same email address for nearly seven
years.

I switched to gmail because of a move, and an ISP change in May of
this year. At first I figured "oh no, the spammers have found my gmail
account!". Not to worry, since looking at the headers show them coming
from d-u. And much of the spam that used to be sent through d-u didn't
get filtered by SA on my local machine.

I tagged a few messages in gmail and reported them as spam (via the
"report spam" button), but all that seems to do is to move the message
into a spam folder that I have to go clean out. Anyone know different
- does gmail even use that input to train filters?

The worst spam surge I remember, though, was sometime last year when
there was a flood of spam with "XXX wrote" in the subject line, where
every conceivable first name in the what you would name your baby book
was sent out as a separate message.

> with amavis scores of over 30 but they are called "OK". And they're
> getting through my SA.... I need to tweak my SA so it always includes

I've seen some like that - ones that I take one look at, and say "This
has to be a virus" without
needing to investigate further.