Re: Always falling to grub prompt

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 02:18:18AM -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 02:12:19PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > yup. probably up until now you've always had this problem, but the
> > kernels happened to be written within the first 1024 cylinders and
> > thus caused no problem. Also, the same with menu.lst, it was probably
> > within that boundary as well. Then last week, the menu.lst got
> > rewritten to a part of the disk that the bios can't see and suddenly
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > At least that's the way I understand it. Reality may diverge
> > drastically from my perception. ;)
> >

> Sounds very logical, so it must be true :-) Anyway, is there anyway to
> make a nondestructive repartition? I'm aware gparted can resize
> partitions, for instance, but in this case I need to split one big
> partition into two, and I'm afraid I can't do it in a safe way, right?

I'm not positive that gparted will move the beginning of a partition,
but its certainly worth a shot. This is what I'd do:

1. Backup everything.
2. Review 1 several times.
3. launch a live-cd (knoppix or somesuch)
4. use a partition editor (gparted, qtparted, whatever) to rezise the
existing / partition by moving the start of it up 500MB or so.
5. create a new bootable partition at the front of the device.
6. create a fs on the new partition
7. mount the new and old partitions.
8. copy over all of /mnt/old-part/boot to /mnt/new-part
9. edit up /mnt/old-part/etc/fstab
10. umount /mnt/new-part and remount it on /mnt/old-part/boot
11. chroot into /mnt/old-part
12. update-grub or manually edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect new
root partitions in kernel=lines
13. maybe have to run update-initrdfs to fix-up the initrd for new root
partition.
14. reboot...

this is entirely untested. ymmv wildly. I am not liable! though, FWIW,
I have done *similar* things in the past, but never before split /boot
from / in such a way that / moves to a relatively different
partition.

the most important part is 1. If you blow that one, you can't
recover. All the others can be recovered from because of 1 :)