Re: Always falling to grub prompt

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 11:00:24AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> One thing that might be helpful is what does the BIOS call those
> drives? In your bios setup screen there will be the usual table of
> harddrives and their positions on the motherboard, as the bios sees
> them. Can you provide that info for us? please include how the bios is
> addressing them (LBA etc).

Bios says this:

Primary master: HL-DL-ST GCE-8320B [that's the cdrom]
Primary slave: [Auto]
Secondary master: Fujitsu MPF3102AT [this is the 10G Windows disk]
Secondary slave: ST 3160212A [the 160G Debian disk]

Details for each drive follow:

Fujitsu: Cylinders 1024
	 Head 255
	 Sector 63
	 CHS Capacity 8422 Mb
	 Maximum LBA Capacity 10248 Mb

ST: Cylinders 1024
    Head 255
    Sector 63
    CHS Capacity 8422 Mb
    Maximum LBA Capacity 8455 Mb

Which is strange, since ST is 160G. Fujitsu data (10G), look ok.

> What motherboard is this and how old is it? It looks like you are
> facing an ancient problem with BIOS that couldn't see beyond the first
> 1024 cylinders. With your large / partition, I'd bet those non-working
> kernels are beyond the range that the bios can see, and I'm willing to
> bet that your bios is configured incorrectly to see those higher
> cylinders.

So your suggestion would be to repartition the disk, leaving a small
boot partition at the beginning of the 160G disk?

Anyway, the motherboard is not new.

lspci -v:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V266-E Mainboard
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
        Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

Probably 6 years old? (I bought it used, in 2003)

Victor