Re: Mishap upgrading from Woody to Etch

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 07:34:22PM +0100, Chris Austin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have had a Debian system working very well since 2003, when I installed it
> from the Stable system, which was Woody at the time.  Recently I wanted to

... snipped woes of a partial upgrade ...

> hit an error trying to upgrade libc6, even after I exited KDE and tried to
> stop kdm with the kill signal in top.  I then found that kdm no longer
> restarted KDE,

Chris, I'm quite sure that this kind of partial upgrade is completely
unsupported. It also appears that you've borked the system
sufficiently well that you're better off starting from
scratch. sorry. Debian went through some serious changes between
woody and etch -- a whole new X system, a whole new libc, among
others. Your would be better spent backing up what you need and
reinstalling etch. It is surely possible to save your system, but it
will probably be very time-consuming and you will end up with an etch
system anyway.

.02