Mishap upgrading from Woody to Etch

Hi,

I have had a Debian system working very well since 2003, when I installed it
from the Stable system, which was Woody at the time.  Recently I wanted to
install the gap package, (Groups, Algorithms and Programming computer
algebra system), and for this I had to start upgrading packages to the
current Stable system, which is Etch.  However I hit a circular dependency
problem trying to upgrade libc6, so started upgrading packages with the
Check Dependencies checkbox deselected, in the KPackage windows that were
started by Konqueror, when I downloaded packages from the Debian website.
At some stage e2fsprogs and e2fslibs were upgraded in this way, but I always
hit an error trying to upgrade libc6, even after I exited KDE and tried to
stop kdm with the kill signal in top.  I then found that kdm no longer
restarted KDE, so to access the Internet I had to dual boot to MS Windows.
Trying to reboot in Linux now starts a file system that is Read Only, with
lots of warnings and errors.  It seems from some of the error messages that
I now need to install the libuuid1 package, but I cannot do this because the
file system is started Read Only.  I can get a writable file system by
booting from the old Woody rescue.bin floppy, but file locations then need
to be prepended by /target, and dpkg gives an error message: relocation
error, symbol _obstack_begin, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file
libc.so.6 with link time reference.

Best regards,
Chris Austin.