Re: Where to find missing documentation

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 02:01:55PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> But many manpages refer to the complete documentation, but 'info <command>'
> gives me the manual page itself. Examples are bash, cp, mv, etc. I have
> been so used to firing up the info documentation of bash and feel crippled
> trying to navigate it manpage.

Something tells me that info coreutils might be what you are looking
for, at least for mv, rm etc. Is this so?

At least for bash, note that bash-doc has a "dfsg" extension in the
source version. So, I am sure the non-free parts have been
removed. But the description of bash-doc clearly says "info format",
which is incorrect.

See the bugs for bash-doc. They require addressing, but haven't been
addressed in a long time.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=bash-doc;dist=unstable

> Then there are packages like mysql where the documentation is not present
> even in the nonfree section. After being used to apt-getting for the past
> four years since I converted to debian, it is a bit frustrating to have to
> do things manually. I hope most of the documentation makes it atleast into
> the 'non-free' section so that maintaining current versions of the
> documentation is taken care of.

I agree with this. If not for MySQL (I don't use it), at least for
bash, please provide the info files in non-free.

Thanks!

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,