Re: Always falling to grub prompt

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:53:20PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> It's late and I'm tired but something looks wrong to me.
> Do you have 4 hard drives or is this one (1) HD with
>
> You say  /dev/hdd [(hd1,0)]
>
> But to me /dev/hda -> (hd0,0)
>               /hdb -> (hd1,0)
>               /hdc -> (hd2,0)
>               /hdd -> (hd3,0)

That would be the logical order, but here hda and hdb have to do with
the cdrom. I get this from dmesg:

dmesg | grep hda
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    hda: HL-DT-ST GCE-8320B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hda: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache, DMA

Then hdc is the 10G disk for Windows, and hdd the 160G disk for sid.

If I type "root hd(" at the boot prompt, it only gives me 0 and 1 as
options, and a later "kernel" command actually finds vmlinuz in
(hd1,0)/boot. So I guess this is ok.

> I'm confused.  How many HD's do you have, 1 or 2 or ?

2, as I said, and a cdrom, recognized as hda.

> I hope I'm wrong but I think you are confusing grub as much as me.

Well, it was not me anyway :-). grub decided it was time to get
confused last week, after months of normal operation.

Victor