Re: Acceptable CPU temperature range of idle computer?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:29:08 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:29:08 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Felix Karpfen wrote:
>> Since upgrading from Sarge to Etch, my CPU temperature appears to be
>> running 5-10 deg.C higher
>>
>> Am I heading for a problem?
>>
>> The documentation says that the CPU is:
>>
>> "Socket 478 for Intel4/Celeron"

By diligent lurking, I have discovered the existence of the "lshw"
package.  It identifies all the installed hardware; this includes the
following info (which may be relevant):

  *-core
       product: P4S800
       vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
          version: ASUS P4S800 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 (12/31/2003)
          size: 64KB
          capacity: 192KB
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: 15.2.9
          slot: PGA 478
          size: 2600MHz
          capacity: 3733MHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr

>> and I have failed to locate any reference to an acceptable temperature
>> range.
>>
>> All advice will be gratefully received.
>>
> Although you don't seem to refer to a notebook computer, this site may
> be of some help:
> http://www.linuxpowertop.org/

Suggested link is flagged for download.

>From the supplied description, it looks helpful - even if it does not
address my problem directly.

> On notebook computers with no load I see temperatures (with the command
> acpi -V) as follows:
> pentium 4m     1.9 GHz: 45 deg C
> pentium-m      2 GHz  : 41 deg C
> turion64 MT-40 2.2 GHz: 50 deg C
>
> Under load these cpus can heat up far above 60 deg C.

>From which I conclude that CPUs can cope with temperatures of 60 deg C.

Many thanks.

Felix

--