Re: Help! Update screwed my box up 'automagically'!

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Martin Waller wrote:

Jeff D wrote:
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, Martin Waller wrote:

I am merely surprised that doing an 'update available packages' in dselect automatically installed a new kernel image and made it the default boot option in my grub menu.lst.

Now fixed.

Best wishes,  a friendly interaction is always a pleasant one,

Martin

It sounds like you want to put your kernel on hold. That will stop apt and dselect from upgrading a package. In order to put a package on hold for example:
echo ''linux-image-2.6-686 hold'' | dpkg --set-selections

although, you would replace the package name with the one you use.

If you are comfortable with dselect I'd say use it. I'm just not familiar with it myself. But as I've found out, it's just a front end to apt, hey, learn something new every day!

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.