Re: Rogue Directory

On Sep 5, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:

Yesterday I created a new directory on my workstation so I could mount a
few NFS mounts on it.  As root, I typed "mkdir /thresh" and it worked,
or seemed to.  I realize I didn't actually list it, I just tried
mounting the imported filesystems on it and it worked. Now when I list
it, I get:

I tried chown, rm, mv and other commands as root, but I can't do
anything with this directory.

What can I do to either delete it (the only data in it is mounted from
other systems) or make it usable?

You need to unmount the NFS filesystem first, if there's still one mounted. Removing a directory that has a filesystem mounted on it is a no-no and I doubt the system will let the delete complete until the filesystem is unmounted. (Note that if the NFS server has gone away you may need to use umount -f to get the unmount to complete.)

If that's not the problem, I would boot into single user mode (or boot a rescue CD) and run fsck on that filesystem. I've seen directory entries like that on corrupt filesystems.