Re: nvidia-glx redux...

ZephyrQ wrote:

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 09:56:36AM -0500, ZephyrQ wrote:

I've edited the xorg.conf file back and forth several times (usually manually changing 'nv' to 'nvidia' and back again when glx couldn't load) and checked the previous thread for help (read the man pages and other docs.)

Just changing nv to nvidia doesn't help.  Look at nvidia-xconfig.

Doug.

    This didn't work either. I ran it and re-started--it failed.

    Current error message says
        "Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module"
            which lead me to the question about kernels...

Did some double checking. I'm running on 2.6.18-5-486. The nvidia kernel module is the one for 2.6.18-4-486. Installing the module for 5-486 will probably help...

...so dumb question. Running the AMD Duron (1.3), which is better: the i486, the i686, or the k7 modules (and kernel)?

    Again, thanx for your time.

Yea I don't know why the package is broken. I am guessing this package gets neglected because it is non-free. Alot of people just run the lastest driver from nvidia.com. I know it sucks to use non-debian packages but the nvidia driver installs very easily. But every time xorg or the kernel gets updated you will have to reinstall the nvidia driver. Here is the driver for your card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.11.html If you want to install it just read all the install instructions here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/index.html

Sam