Re: exim4/fetchmail/mutt problem

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:52:12AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 08:26:19AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>
>>> In ./usr/sbin exim is a symlink to exim4.  exim is owned by root:root
>>> with 777 permissions.  exim4 was owned by root:tom with 731 permissions.
>>> I changed the permissions to 777 but this did not correct the problem.  I
>>> still got exim: permission denied when I executed mailq as user tom.
>>> mailq works for root.
>>>

>> OK, I meant su;mailq or sudo mailq.
>>
>> You should be able to run mailq as root. Otherwise, you have a
>> problem. For me, it's just a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/exim4.
>>
>> Kumar
>>
> strace -e trace=open,write mailq run from user tom exits after
>
>    open ("/etc/passwd
>    write(2, "exim: permission denied
>
> If I run /etc/init.d/exim4 restart I get a warning that the exim4 paniclog
> is not empty.  tail/var/exim4/paniclog ends with "failed to read delivery
> status for tom@dragon.zoo from the delivery subprocess.
>
> I have tried editing exim4.conf.template and uncommenting the Login lines
> in the Authentication section and entering my user name and password after
> the colons in the server_promts line.  This does not solve the problem.

Firstly, IIRC, Exim4 has its own ideas about who can run it as
/usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/sbin/exim; you'd need to run it as root or
find the setting to permit other users to run the commands. This isn't a
problem for Fetchmail, though, as Fetchmail is trying to connect to a
mailserver running on the local machine, port 25. Fetchmail's problem is
that Exim isn't configured to run as a server, so it has no idea what to
do with the mail it's fetching. You need to either configure Exim to
listen on port 25, or configure Fetchmail to deliver to a program such
as procmail; the second option is probably better all round, unless
fetchmail is downloading mail for more than one local user.

	Ben