Re: Problems regarding sound

On 3 Sep., 07:00, "vivek shah" <boni.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>         I am using Debain Etch on my Acer laptop and it was running
> fine till the sound stopped working suddenly. I was playing a movie on
> VLC player and in the middle it just stopped working. After that I
> tried
> cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
> but I didnt get any sound.
> I checked that my user was in the group audio and the above command
> didn't give anything as root too.

Uhm ok. Did you check your syslog, dmesg for any suspicious entry that
may indicate a hardware problem?

> I checked with alsamixer and nothing was muted. I ran alsaconf which
> ran successfully but still nothing. Even after rebooting nothing
> happened.
>
> Please note I did no upgrade or package install when this problem
> occured. It just stopped in the middle.
> I checked to see if the sound-card had shorted out and so I ran Ubuntu
> 7.04 Live CD and I got the startup sounds in that.

You could compare the kernel modules in debian with those ones ubuntu
live cd to see which modules are loaded for your card. Try to rmmod
and modprobe them again or mebbe some are missing. If nothing happens
id try to rebuild the corresponding kernel modules. The last step
would be download sources and compile them in.