Re: how to provide extra library paths?

On 8/31/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Presumably, you have something like .kde, .kderc, or Desktop in your
> > home directory.  Does grep find anything about LD_LIBRARY_PATH in any
> > of those?
> well, there is a .kde directory where all kde related configurations
> get stored, but no LD_LIBRARY_PATH in any of those files (even
> binary)... I will have to study the KDE startup nicely sometime. Btw,
> I am logging into KDE from GDM. Would that play any role?

Wouldn't know -- I boot to console and use startx to start fvwm.  What
about system-wide KDE files?

Alternatively, is there a script that's sourced on session start-up?
If so, you can certainly solve your problem by defining
LD_LIBRARY_PATH there.  I know fvwm has an InitFunction, and I imagine
other window managers have something similar.

Googling "kde session init", I found the following thread, which might help:

> > BTW, the lines in your .xsession-errors are output from your .bashrc
> > being run by something that doesn't have a tty output.  That's
> > probably the initial sourcing at session start-up.
> I think it was from .bash_profile. Is it possible to know which
> program modified the .xsession-errors last?

Not that I'm aware of.  The lines look like the output of "set -x", though.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh