Re: Migrate debian services to a new debian system

On Aug 30, 6:10 pm, b...@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > syn4coXis...@gmail.com:
> > > Okay, so I want to make the asrock my server...it is quieter and uses
> > > less power.  I don't have a lot of time for trouble shooting etc. so I
> > > want to plan this out so it mostly works on the first shot.  My
> > > strategy is to setup each services one at a time...then transfer to
> > > the new system and disable it on the old.
>
> > If I were you, I'd just install a stock Debian kernel on the server (if
> > it doesn't already have one) and swap the hard drives between the two
> > machines. That might already do it.
>
> Sounds like a good plan to me.  If it doesn't boot on the new machine
> with the kernel from old one after installing a stock kernel then boot
> KNOPPIX, chroot into the system, reinstall the kernel.  The problem
> that might arise is if the new system needs a specific kernel driver
> that the old system does not need.  This is configured into the
> /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) file and may need to be rebuilt.

great idea!!! I hadn't even thought about that.  I've been back in the
windows world too long.  I will give this a try and report back...but
it sounds sensible.

then only problem I see is that since these boards are pretty
proprietary, they require some special modules, etc. to get everything
working.  However I guess I can just pre-install the asrock kernel on
the servers hard drive then drop it in and delete the old kernels.
What do you all think about that?