Re: xterm won't start

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-08-27 23:06:53 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> I should have made it clear that I am using a (the latest package)
>> stock 2.6.22 (486) kernel. It would seem that I must have made some
>> kind of install mistake to lead to:
>>
>> xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory
>> Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys
>>

> Do you get similar errors with other terminals
No terminal I have tried will start.
> (in particular rxvt)
> and the same kernel? You should also look at strace output.

rxvt fails.  The error message is:

urxvt: can't initialize pseudo-tty, aborting.

Text mode Emacs 21 also fails.
> I also suggest typing
>
>   "get_pty: not enough ptys"
>
> (with the quotes) on Google to see if other users had the same problem
> and solved it.

I did that as soon as I saw the problem.  The only hits seemed to
related to already solved bugs several years ago.

This may have started when I was upgrading other stuff with aptitude.  I
don't remember what happened at that time.

Thanks,

Paul