Re: xterm won't start

On 2007-08-26 19:46:29 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Installed 2.6.22 kernel and built module for USB wireless card.
> Starting xterm gives:
>
> xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory
> Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys

I've had a pty-related error with xterm on PowerPC in the past. I had
to use the following workaround in my app-defaults file for XTerm:

! On ay (PPC), ones needs to set eightBitInput to true to avoid the error
! "xterm: fatal pty error 23 (errno=22) on tty /dev/pts/...". Therefore
! metaSendsEscape needs to be set to true, to allow non-ASCII characters.
*metaSendsEscape:               true
*eightBitInput:                 true

BTW, this may still be the case, as ttyrec doesn't work on PowerPC
as it currently uses pty's.

> CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=Y
> CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT+256
>
> is only for the 2.6.17 kernel that works.

I see that

# CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS is not set

on my PowerPC machine, while it is set on my i386 machine (both with
2.6.18 kernel). So, it may be the problem. Is your 2.6.22 kernel an
official Debian kernel? If not, the solution would be to recompile
it with this option set.