Re: evince unable to open pdf

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:03:07AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 14:23:27 +0000, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > Evince itself opens OK, but when I open the file dialog with its default
> > filter of "All Documents", it doesn't see any.  If I remove the filter
> > to "All Files", it sees the pdfs but when I select one to open, it pops
> > up an error:
> >
> > Unable to open document
> > Unhandled MIME type 'application/octet-stream'
> >
> > When I click on help, it opens the help browser (I have yelp installed),
> > but instead of getting help, it in turn opens gvim with the XML source:
> > 	/usr/share/gnome/help/evince/C
> >
> > I'm assuming that this is the same problem: the help browser doesn't
> > know how to handle its own XML help files so opens gvim.
>
> As far as I understand the MIME-handling business, you need
> /etc/mime.types (package mime-support) and/or /etc/mime-magic
> (gnome-libs-data) to ensure identification of the MIME type
> "application/pdf" (based on the "%PDF-" string at the start of the
> file).
>
> If you have these packages installed and it does not work then you might
> additionally need gnome-mime-data or shared-mime-info. (This is just a
> guess, though, based on the package descriptions.)

Thanks Florian.

I have everything except gnome-libs-data (since it brings in all the
rest of gnome including gnome-bin).

If I have to install the whole GNOME DTE just to use Evince, I chalk it
up to typical Gnome stupidity and scrapt the whole thing.

The thing is, my installed packages are exactly the same as before I
reinstalled.  The only difference is that 4.0r1 came out while I was in
the midst of the multi-day downloading (dialup) so some of the packages
will be newer versions.

Doug.