Re: evince unable to open pdf

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 14:23:27 +0000, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently reinstalled box running Etch amd64.  However, evince no
> longer works.  It is my only gnome app; I don't usually have luck with
> gnome but need it for this one application.  When I ssh into the box
> from a P-II with 64 MB ram, Kpdf keeps its image rendering in the
> xserver which over-taxes the P-II whereas Evince keeps its memory to
> itself, on the amd64.
>
> Evince itself opens OK, but when I open the file dialog with its default
> filter of "All Documents", it doesn't see any.  If I remove the filter
> to "All Files", it sees the pdfs but when I select one to open, it pops
> up an error:
>
> Unable to open document
> Unhandled MIME type 'application/octet-stream'
>
> When I click on help, it opens the help browser (I have yelp installed),
> but instead of getting help, it in turn opens gvim with the XML source:
> 	/usr/share/gnome/help/evince/C
>

> I'm assuming that this is the same problem: the help browser doesn't
> know how to handle its own XML help files so opens gvim.
>
> Any ideas?

As far as I understand the MIME-handling business, you need
/etc/mime.types (package mime-support) and/or /etc/mime-magic
(gnome-libs-data) to ensure identification of the MIME type
"application/pdf" (based on the "%PDF-" string at the start of the
file).

If you have these packages installed and it does not work then you might
additionally need gnome-mime-data or shared-mime-info. (This is just a
guess, though, based on the package descriptions.)

          Florian   |