Re: Ping my modem...

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Charlie wrote:

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 14:50, Octavio Alvarez shared this with us all:
--} On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:42:41 -0700, Charlie <ariestao@clearmail.com.au>
--} wrote:
--}
--} >> --} > Is the following a normal reply from a satellite modem to
ping:- --} >> --} >
--} >> --} > ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
--} >> --} > ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
--} >> --} > ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
--} >> --} > ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
--} >> --} > ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
--}
--} Your iptables firewall is blocking ICMP.
--}

I use the guarddog firewall and allowed ICMP - Redirect and ICMP - Source
Quench on local and Internet DMZ and tried a combination of all and still get
the same message.

It must just be something otherwise I reckon, and will get round it
eventually. I just thought that someone had come across this before.

Thanks anyway for your help Octavio.
Charlie
--

ICMP redirect and source quench aren't what ping uses though, you need to allow echo. Have a look at this doc, section 8.3: http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Setting_up_a_personal_firewall_on_Debian_using_Guarddog

That should get you going.

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.