Re: Destination Host Unreachable

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> When trying to connect wirelessly to a Linksys router with IP address
> 192.168.1.1, ifup brings up the interface, ifconfig reports its
> configuration correctly, iwconfig reports the hardware (MAC) address of
> the router correctly, but pinging the router returns "Destination Host
> Unreachable" (DHU) and 'arp -a' reports <incomplete> where the MAC address
> should be.  A hardwired interface gets the MAC address, and I'm writing
> this from another wireless laptop connected to the same wireless router
> (although
> this one has a static address and the other gets it by DHCP).  I've tried
> relocating the laptop (right now it's next to the one which is connected),
> giving it a static address, setting the MAC address with arp (at which
> ping
> just hangs instead of reporting DHU), none of which has helped.  The
> laptop
> is able to connect to a wireless network where I work.  Any pointers would
> be much appreciated.
>
> This is all happening on a recently updated testing system with a
> 2.6.21kernel.
>
> Patrick

Do you get the correct default gateway when you use: route <enter>

if not, test the issue by adding in manually:
        route add defualt gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <enter>
replace the xx'es with your router (WAP).

regards
Jan

--
** Do NOT use the reply-to address. You'll end up in the trash can
** Mail me at: jan A.T schledermann D0T org