Destination Host Unreachable

Hello:

When trying to connect wirelessly to a Linksys router with IP address 192.168.1.1, ifup brings up the interface, ifconfig reports its configuration correctly, iwconfig reports the hardware (MAC) address of the router correctly, but pinging the router returns "Destination Host Unreachable" (DHU) and 'arp -a' reports <incomplete> where the MAC address should be.  A hardwired interface gets the MAC address, and I'm writing this from another wireless laptop connected to the same wireless router (although this one has a static address and the other gets it by DHCP).  I've tried relocating the laptop (right now it's next to the one which is connected), giving it a static address, setting the MAC address with arp (at which ping just hangs instead of reporting DHU), none of which has helped.  The laptop is able to connect to a wireless network where I work.  Any pointers would be much appreciated.

This is all happening on a recently updated testing system with a 2.6.21 kernel.

Patrick