Re: flash on amd64: my report

From: Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch>
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: flash on amd64: my report
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:06:26 +0200

Looks like gnash works now at least for youtube stuff.
(Still not for myspace.)
Otherwise you can play flash flv files externally with vlc plugin.

# Machine: x86_64
# Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-rc5-amd64 (custom)
# Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid
# Installed:
libc6   2.6.1-1
gnash   0.8.0~cvs20070611.1016-1+b2
gnash-tools     0.8.0~cvs20070611.1016-1+b2
libgnash0       0.8.0~cvs20070611.1016-1+b2
mozilla-plugin-gnash    0.8.0~cvs20070611.1016-1+b2
mozilla-plugin-vlc      0.8.6.c-3
iceweasel       2.0.0.6-1

 m°

Thanks for your posting on gnash. I tried to install gnash on etch amd64 and ran into dependency problems etc. You need to be Lenny or Sid (as you are) to get it to work. So I gave up with it.....

I got flash to work in etch amd64 eventually using a recipe I posted earlier.

I have copied the post below:

Dear Debianists

I have just got flashplayer9  working on Iceweasel in amd64 etch.....

I did the following stuff recommended by some helpful guys at http://www.dipconsultants.com:

First things first, as root:

 * Add repository to sources.list:
o echo "deb http://www.dipconsultants.com/debian etch main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
 * apt-get update
* Install the keyring so you're not bothered with key/verification warnings:
       o apt-get install markybob-keyring
 * apt-get update once more
 * Install what you want:
       o apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk nspluginwrapper

If you're looking to install Flash in a 64-bit browser:

 * Do *every* step listed above, then the following as a *user*, not root:
* wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
 * tar -zxf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

It worked fine up to here....

* mv install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Instead of this I did mv install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
NOT as a user as root

 * nspluginwrapper -i ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I didn't do the above one either;

I did nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
NOT as a user as root

 * Start/restart iceweasel/firefox/whatever
 * Enjoy, Etch 64-bit users, from the guys at dipconsultants.com :)

Everything else was the same.

Now flashplayer 9 works on my 64 bit Iceweasel browser.

Thanks

Michael Fothergill

I tried flashplayer-mozilla or whatever it is. It doesn't work as far as I can see unless you are running Sid or Lenny or something because you can't install the latest nspluginwrapper in etch without dependency problems that I think would be dodgy because you would be veering out of etch into something chaotic.

Or something like that.

But this worked.

End of old posting.

The installation of flash I made above on amd64 etch was a bit unstable in amd64 etch r0. It would work for a while and then suddenly quit. I am not sure why. Rebooting seemed to help a little.

But when I upgraded to amd64 etch r1 then this problem went away. I am not sure why. Now flash is working well.

Java plugins are still below par but I am working on it.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

The next generation of Hotmail is here!  http://www.newhotmail.co.uk