Re: Good fdisk Practices

On Aug 25, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On the other hand, having /boot separate could be more robust in the
event of an unclean shutdown.  The system won't boot at all if the
kernel file gets corrupted, so having /boot separate, and perhaps
mounted ro helps protect it.

I suppose, but I've never had an unclean shutdown corrupt a filesystem that wasn't being written to. So I'm not sure if it matters whether it's ro or rw, as long as you aren't writing to it at the time of the crash.

Also, if the root filesystem is corrupt, the system won't boot whether the kernel file is OK or not; you have to get far enough to load init and a shell for anything useful to happen.