Re: Any way to stop dist-upgrade from upgrading tetex to texlive

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

>   Holding the various tetex packages (tetex-bin, tetex-common,
> tetex-extra, tetex-doc) "should" work -- but I wouldn't be surprised
> if they get dragged in by dependencies anyway.  aptitude holds don't
> prevent versioned dependencies from forcing an upgrade, unfortunately.
> (and TBH, I hardly ever use holds these days, so they may be even more
>  buggy than I think)
>
>   Personally, I would just bite the bullet and do the upgrade -- tetex
> is going away and you'll have to switch over eventually anyway.  Is there
> a particular difficulty you're running into with the upgrade?

The problem is that upgrading tetex-extra will pull in a lot
texlive-*lang packages you will probably never need:

$ aptitude -s install tetex-extra
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  tetex-bin texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-fonts-extra texlive-generic-extra
  texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-czechslovak
  texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch texlive-lang-finnish
  texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hungarian
  texlive-lang-italian texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-mongolian
  texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-polish
  texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-swedish
  texlive-lang-vietnamese texlive-latex-extra texlive-math-extra
  texlive-pstricks texlive-publishers texpower texpower-manual
  bash-doc expectk icedove icedove-locale-de
  tetex-bin tetex-extra texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-fonts-extra
  texlive-generic-extra texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic
  texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch
  texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-greek
  texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-italian texlive-lang-latin
  texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-other
  texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish
  texlive-lang-swedish texlive-lang-vietnamese texlive-latex-extra
  texlive-math-extra texlive-pstricks texlive-publishers texpower
  texpower-manual
0 packages upgraded, 30 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 216MB of archives. After unpacking 420MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Would download/install/remove packages.

I found no other way than deselecting tetex-extra and manually
installing the wanted texlive packages to avoid this.  And it is
probably easier to do this if the rest of the system is up to date
already.

Regards,
        Sven