Re: cannot logoff/shutdown properly

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 21:05:27 -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > > I tried vesa, but the screen is not very stable and I can logoff once
> > > and then when I login again, I couldn't log off like I was using i810.
> >
> > I would still like to know whether your system hangs if you try to
> > switch to a terminal without shutting down gdm.
>
> If I have a graphical login prompt and press CTRL + ALT + Back I can
> go to a text mode login prompt but immediately I will go back to the
> graphical login prompt.

I think that is the default behavior of gdm: It respawns X if X is
killed suddenly. So maybe this is not related to the graphics driver
after all. If you cannot find any further clues in

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
~/.xsession-errors

(after a crash and a reboot into single-user mode) then I don't know
where to look next. If you have another computer on the same LAN then it
might be worthwhile to try if you can still log in remotely with ssh
after the problematic system freezes.

          Florian   |