Re: cannot logoff/shutdown properly

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:25:47 -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 12:29:53 -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> > > I finally have the chance to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log in recovery
> > > mode but it didn't have anything with "(EE)" or "(WW)".
> > >
> > > And in recovery mode, I can shutdown properly with shutdown -h now.
> >
> > That suggests to me that the shutdown problem might be related to the
> > video driver that you use for Xorg.
> >
> > > Any more suggestion?
> >
> > Did you try the "vesa" driver already? (as I suggested earlier)
>
> Yes, it turns out that similar problem is still there.
>

> > Which video card do you have and which driver do you normally use?
> >

> I have been using i810 for a while and before it had no problem until
> an update months ago.

Which Intel card is it? How is the driver configured? Are there any
warnings or errors in xorg's log? Run the following commands and post
the output:

lspci | egrep -i 'vga|graphic|display|video'

awk '/Section "(Device|Monitor)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

X -version

> > Also, are there any interesting entries in /var/log/syslog around the
> > time of the crashes/freezes?
> I don't think so.

I think the next thing to try is if X blocks the shutdown or if
something else in runlevel 2 is responsible. Shut down X and/or stop the
graphical login manager with

invoke-rc.d gdm stop

and check if you can shut down the system then. (Replace "gdm" with
"kdm" or "xdm" if necessary.)

          Florian   |