Re: cannot logoff/shutdown properly

[ You should leave some context in your messages, especially if you are
  reviving a thread which has been inactive for almost a month;
  otherwise people might mistake you for one of those "special" posters
  from debianhelp.org... ]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 12:29:53 -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> I finally have the chance to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log in recovery
> mode but it didn't have anything with "(EE)" or "(WW)".
>
> And in recovery mode, I can shutdown properly with shutdown -h now.

That suggests to me that the shutdown problem might be related to the
video driver that you use for Xorg.

> Any more suggestion?

Did you try the "vesa" driver already? (as I suggested earlier)

Which video card do you have and which driver do you normally use?

Also, are there any interesting entries in /var/log/syslog around the
time of the crashes/freezes?

          Florian   |