Re: Serial port connection (null modem) not working

On Aug 24, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Ken Irving wrote:

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:14:21AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
As an alternative to minicom, 'screen' also makes a useful serial terminal
program.  At least on OS X, I often do something like this to talk to
routers and the like:
screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600

"Ctrl-A Shift-K" will exit. "Ctrl-A i" will give you a nice little display
of what the serial control lines are doing.

I haven't tried it under Linux, but it should work the same. Of course
you'd substitute /dev/ttyS0 or whatever device you're using for
/dev/tty.usbserial.

I tried it on a sid box, but just end up with screen showing a shell on
the local host, i.e., the same as without those arguments.

Huh. I tried it on an FC5 box just now and it worked. Must be different builds of 'screen'.