Re: Serial port connection (null modem) not working

As an alternative to minicom, 'screen' also makes a useful serial terminal program. At least on OS X, I often do something like this to talk to routers and the like:
screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600

"Ctrl-A Shift-K" will exit. "Ctrl-A i" will give you a nice little display of what the serial control lines are doing.

I haven't tried it under Linux, but it should work the same. Of course you'd substitute /dev/ttyS0 or whatever device you're using for /dev/tty.usbserial.

It won't trigger nostalgia for Telix the way minicom does, though. ;)